Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Stover-Chapter 3


My favorite advertisement idea from chapter 3 is the Stolen Handbag idea. I could not find a picture of it online to post it for this blog post, but it’s the one where there’s not a handbag in site and all the contents are in a trash bin, including a wallet with 50 dollar bills falling out of it. It took me a second to understand the ad but once I did, I thought it’s very clever. It uses what the book describes as the reversal technique. I think the reversal technique in general seems like it makes the advertisement more interesting off the bat. I also think it’s branching out because most ads for purses consist of ridiculously skinny or famous women that have experienced high amounts of photoshop airbrushing, such as this picture for Valentino handbags.
I just think this is too typical and doesn’t do anything new or clever. I haven’t even seen the handbag for the other advertisement and I already want it, and I don’t even want a purse or handbag. I think the first image is trying to attract a different audience or has a different style of handbags because it doesn’t have the glamour effect and doesn’t try to scream anything about fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment