Monday, April 9, 2012

Callebert Chapters 1-4

Katie Callebert
Chapter 1

I went back and forth between two ads in Chapter 1. I ultimately decided on the Volkswagen Beetle ad, saying "Think small." Even in 1960, Volkswagen got it. Creating a successful ad is not about using neon colors and provocative ideas it is about making a company or brand recognizable. Even back in 1960, this as captured the minimalistic ideals that so many advertisers strive to produce today.

The ad that I have chosen is in my opinion very similar to the ad in our book. With a little research I found that this ad received some bad reviews. Some people saying the skin looks gross, and other people saying that it does not make sense. However in my opinion the people at Volkswagen are just honing back to their original minimalistic ideas.  From a distance this ad and the ad from the text can look very similar.  Another important point to bring up about this and Volkswagen Beetle ads in general is the superb success of making the shape of The Volkswagen Beetle identifiable across the world. Even in glossy red lipstick on the lips of a model, we see a car, and that is why this ad is significant.
Chapter 2

The Chick-fil-A ad is simple and not the most riveting ad in our text book.  However, I chose this Chick-fil-A ad for a different reason. Being a nanny for two little girls, I know what makes kids laugh. A kid would crack up ad this billboard and possibly make the car ride for the parent( or nanny) a little bit easier. Sometimes many ads go straight over kids heads and this is one they can understand.  The ad agency for Chick-Fil-A understand kids too (even though they do not know it). Our text says that the ad targets adults 18-49.  I guess weather they choose to target an uneducated 42 year old or a smart six year old, everyone wins.

This second ad I chose is from the same The advertisers know that this is not the beginning of the new revolution in advertising, but it may give the kids a little chuckle and maybe their parents too. And, to ad too that the parents may be a tad more prone to stop in Chick-fil-A when their billboard made little Jason laugh instead of pulling out his sister's hair. Just a thought.



Chapter 3

I chose the Levi's ad with the 501 Original Shrink to Fit Jeans. At first glance I find the sepia/ black and white color scheme appealing. I also like the detail in the large dirty foot, however gross that may be. But it is important for an ad to get the viewer's attention at first glance. And I am sure that Levi's would be more than happy for the large dirty foot in their ad to get a 22 year old girl's attention. Just like what happened when I saw the ad. Which leads me to my next point, after something on the ad catches the viewer's eye. In this case for me it was the color scheme and foot. Then the viewer can see what the ad is all about. Perhaps a 22 year old girl like me would go running to her boyfriend saying, "Oh I saw this ad for Levi's and it says they wont fall down and they will fit to shrink your body. Isn't that awesome?" In this case we have happy advertisers.

UNLIKE, the ad in the book this ad in my opinion is far less successful. I am not going to run and tell my boyfriend I saw a super sexy man with over  shaped eyebrows in a magazine. So this company just lost my boyfriend as a customer. And my boyfriend is a fan of jeans. We have seen ads like these time and time again. At least the ads with the guy and the girl rolling in the sand gives something for everyone, but this is just silly. This to me is an ad for "how NOT to do your eyebrows."



Chapter 4

There were several ads in this Chapter that caught my attention, however the ad for Daffy's was very successful and appealing to a large audience. Lets face it, know one wants to pay outrageous prices for clothes. So, when a store recognizes it, we appreciate it. Not only is the message direct and has a bit of an attitude, but I also find the design of the ad successful. The white background, text, and picture combo has been used often. But it is for a reason it works. Even though there is a men's dress shirt in the ad, the message is received by both men and women. This Daffy's ad would make me more inclined to check the store out. 

I do not know if this next ad needs too much explaination. But this ad is a great example to show less is more. Now both of these stores might be comparable in prices and quality. However, the Daffy's ad appeals to a much broader range of people, because some people may be turned off by the clutter and unprofessional arrangement of this ad.


No comments:

Post a Comment