Monday, April 30, 2012

Kathie Trela - Spoof Ad Final





This piece is entitled No’rèal Mis Match by Kathie Trela. The materials used for this project were Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, the web, and digital camera. I credit http://www.rochellerae.com/ and http://www.shop.hummingbirdhair.com/ for the images of the models. The date is May 1, 2012.

This piece is a digital print created mostly on Adobe Photoshop and the typography was inserted using Adobe Illustrator. The paint brush was a photograph and the hand holding the paintbrush is a photo of my own hand. Everything was manipulated and blended on Photoshop. The paintbrush was of normal size, but I sized it down to a mini size in order to fit with my idea. I photographed the hand separately and added the paintbrush afterwards. My specific subject is the product of True Match by L’oreal, but my idea is to spoof that product and the brand. I initially was going to spoof the idea that L’oreal photoshops their models too much and such. However, when I first presented my idea, people laughed at the idea that the True Match product has a brush that seems like you are painting your face. So I changed their roll on brush to a tiny paintbrush. I keot my idea of only having one shade because when researching L’oreal’s ads for this product, it seemed like they only have one shade, not 20, because all of their ads, which have different models, are advertising the same shade. That is why I changed it from True Match to Mis Match. There was also some controversy with L’oreal that they whitened Beyonce in one of their ads so I added that concept in my work as well. Therefore, I have two different ads, one with a white girl and one with a black girl. I spoofed L’oreal to No’real because their ads are not portraying real results of their products. Additionally, their brand is L’oreal Paris so I spoofed Paris to Bogus. For the L’oreal True Match roll on, they claim it rolls on clean and not spotty or streaky like regular liquid foundation. To make it funny, I have each model putting on the make-up with a paintbrush with the one shade that I am advertising. The color goes on streaky and totally mismatched to their regular skin tone. I am advertising No’real, roll on, Mis Match, Super Streakable Makeup. Therefore, it then advertises how one color fits all (for a face full of streaks) and you don’t have to search anymore. The ad ends with No’real Bogus – Because we’re worthless – instead of Because you’re worth it. I changed it to “Because we’re worthless” because it seems like their new makeup ideas are not working and they are worthless.

I use L’oreal products and I do love their products. However, I feel like their ads are deceiving and that roll on foundation is just ridiculous. I do sometimes experience buying their foundation and it being too orange and it is not a true match. I confess that I look at L’oreal ads and sometimes believe that my skin will look that flawless, but of course, it will not.

I am advertising this in Elle magazine. My alternative advertisement is on ulta.com. Ulta is cosmetics store and they advertise makeup on their online store. Therefore, I created an advertisement for my product on their homepage that looks like a normal Ulta ad. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment