Thursday, April 5, 2012

Stover-Chapter 9

I really like the Jimmy John's ads from chapter 9. I like them because they are visually appealing but they are only using type. I know me personally is not as good incorporating type into an image as graphic elements, so I respect good advertisements that incorporate text in a creative way. The one that says, "sure my sandwiches are gourmet. but the only thing french about me is the way I kiss", and they have the words french and kiss as the biggest on the page, so before you read it, all you see is french kiss, but it still fits into the overall type. When reading just french kiss, I think it has a psychological affect on people because they see french kiss and unintentionally get a sense of arousal.  I'm not saying I get off on this picture, but in terms of real subtlety, I think hidden psychological factors can drastically alter how promising some advertisements are. These are also a series, so that's always a plus. One of the other ones says, "Mystery meat is for frozen burritos". I thought this one was hilarious because it speaks the truth. What are in those 711 frozen burritos? One can only imagine...


This is the advertisement I'm comparing those to. I think it's interesting that they are completely different, yet mostly the same in terms of food genre; both sandwich places. Most food ads are like the subway one above, where it just says the place and maybe a few lines of text, but most importantly, there is always food shown. I like that Jimmy Johns is being creative with their ads instead of this lame subway ad, although it makes sense because people want to see food or what they'll be buying.

No comments:

Post a Comment