Thursday, April 5, 2012

Dan Kozerski - Chapters 1-4

Chapter 1:
I really enjoyed the Volkswagen ad that was on pg. 11. In doing other reading and what not I've come across this campaign several times before. I thinks it's really cool because I feel like they were the first company to give their ads a very minimalistic design. The idea is to have one powerful statement and one powerful image, and I think that we've easily seen that influence on all of the ads we have looked over so far in class. I'd almost goes as far as to say that Apple bit their style. Regardless, the campaign is obviously very successful because they still implement the same style today, as you can see in the recent Volkswagen ad I posted below.



Chapter 2:
I feel like this is going to be the most commented on image from chapter 2; however, the Chick-fil-A ad stood out the most to me. I've never really been into that whole campaign, though I do see how it can be successful. That said, I did enjoy that particular image in the book because I love when companies push the boundaries of a canvas, like they did by implementing the cow sculptures painting the billboard. Activating space outside of the canvas always makes an ad stand out, in my opinion. If you google "great billboard ads" you'll get a ton of awesome results; however, this one really stuck out to me as pushing the boundaries of the canvas, as well. This pushes them even farther than Chick-fil-A.



Chapter 3:
Chapter 3 didn't have many images to choose from; however, I will say that the stolen handbag ads were pretty inspirational to me. I'd never really thought of the idea of a contradicting ad. I'm still not entirely clear on the basis behind it. Hopefully we can talk further about it during class. I found the below ad to be quite witty and within the same context. I suppose I understand the concept of reversal more so after looking at this. Maybe it was just that particular ad that was confusing me.



Chapter 4:
For Chapter 4 I enjoyed both of the Columbia ads the most. I felt like they were clever, effective, and straight to the point, which they are ment to be. For the products they're selling, their consumers want to know exactly what it will do for them. They need to know if the apparel can withstand elements because that's what they are going to use the apparel for. I thought the ad below was in a similar realm. Also, very clever and effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment