Monday, April 16, 2012

Nick Souksavat - Spoof Ad Progress

Well, based on the response I got from most of you last week - I set my focus on spoofing the TOPSHOP ads. I spent the weekend fixing my computer... and then doing a shoot and got some good photos that I'll edit later on.
My idea for the ads was to:
1. Showcase less than fashionable outfits
2. Parody elements of a fashion ad (via expressions and poor poses)
3. Maintain the aesthetic quality of a professional print ad




For the layout, I'm going to keep the ads simple. I noticed that a lot of the TOPSHOP ads had an aspect of duality to it where there are just two images side by side. So as a play on that, I wanted to feature a "normal" fashion shot with a not so fashionable look.




Here are some images that I plan on using...

The first two are a little more flattering... but still not that great.



Whereas the last two are just plain bad.



The other day when I went to pick up equipment, I ended up taking a cab and it just so happened that the tent ad on my cab was a TOPSHOP ad which inspired me to just do a new series of tent ads for my 2nd medium. What I liked about those ads is that the layout allowed for more body-copy which at that point I can use to my advantage since the magazine ads are pretty plain and straight forward.

My question to you guys concerns the brand name. Initially, I wanted to do BOTTOMSHOP but some of you had brought up some suggestions that I'd be open to. I heard something like $TOP$HOP or TOPDOLLAR the other day.. Let me know what you guys think?

Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment