Monday, April 30, 2012

Holloman - Spoof Ad FINAL

My final magazine advertisment


Final alternative advertisement. Click through ads on spin.com that would take you through to the website (http://instagr.am.com/) or to the digital markets that sell the app.


This piece is entitled ‘Hipstagram’ and was created as a spoof advertisement for an assignment. The piece was created using Photoshop and Illustrator by Becky Holloman. All the photos used were taken and edited by me and the information at the bottom of the advertisement content that was recreated and or edited by me as well. It was created during April of 2012. I used a downloaded set of actions for photoshop to recreate the instagram effects for my photos ( http://dbox.tumblr.com/post/5426249009/instagram-filters-as-photoshop-actions ) and I used a tutorial that I found on www.vector.tutsplus.com to create the lens on the camera icon.
    This project is a print and a digital projection. I have placed a printed version in an issue of Spin magazine as well as posting all the images online to our class blog. The specific subject of this piece is the application Instagram, or rather, a spoof of it that I created called ‘Hipstagram.’ There are secondary subjects within the textual information at the bottom of the ad as well as each individual photo’s subject matter. I feel that the composition of this piece is what unifies it the most, the repetitive horizontal bars although featuring different content, create a geometric pattern. Also how the focus of each photograph somewhat flip flops back and forth from left to right, I believe it helps the viewer travel from top to bottom seeing each photo and ending up at the text at the bottom. I believe the photos also feature a different but similar enough style and color palette where they don’t blend in with each other, but they still seem to flow and go together in their own way.
    I am the creator of this work and it has to do with me because I created for an assignment in my advertising design class. I feel that this work compares a little bit to other works we’ve seen in class because of the use of photography, but as far as the overall subject matter, I can’t think of any specific project that is very similar. I don’t think there are any specific works or specific designers that I thought of or referenced, besides the tutorials, while working on this piece, however I did use all of my own photography and I find two of my favorite photographers in general to be Annie Leibowitz and August Sander, so I’m sure there’s a hint of their work nestled in the back of my brain that I’m subconsciously aware of when taking photographs even though none of the photos are intentionally similar to or in the style of either of them or any other photographer for that matter. As far as composition goes, I used suggestions from my classmates to come up with my final layout. I took advice of a few classmates, specifically using a certain type of photo as well as using the horizontal bars for my layout.
    My purpose for this piece was to fulfill the requirements of an assignment in my class. The assignment was to spoof or make fun of some sort of brand, I chose the application available for smart phones called Instagram which allows peoples to edit there photos to look retro and interesting but has turned into more of a cliche and ‘hipster’ thing to do. I have no qualms with the app, being a user myself, however I do find the attitude that surrounds it quite funny and entertaining. When it first became available it was quite cool to see, suddenly people had these interesting unique looking photos that looked really well shot and edited. However the photos are very easy to create and almost diminish the talent that photographers have. That’s the beef that most people who dislike the app have, they feel that now everyone thinks they’re a super talented photographer when all they’re doing is tapping a few buttons on their cell phone.
    I feel that my final version of this project is quite successful. I feel that my layout accomplishes featuring different effects that the app has to offer as well as providing the necessary information in a succinct way that doesn’t take up to much space so people would actually possibly be attracted to the ad by the photos and stay on the page long enough to read the info. 


No comments:

Post a Comment