Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Stover-Chapter 13


I liked the “Swaggerize me” ad in chapter 13. I think this is a clever way to play off the purpose of the product. In this case the product is the Old Spice Swagger deodorant, which is meant to help you feel cool and confident. The ad is for a website where a user can “swaggerize” their life by creating fake pictures, blogs, and websites for participant’s names to make them appear cool when their name is searched online. This is a pretty hilarious method for entertainment, but I’m not sure how successful it is. The product is made for an audience of younger men, so I suppose this ad is pretty effective for the proper audience.  
Instead of comparing this to a particular other advertisement, I think it’s interesting to compare it to deodorant advertising by other companies.  I went to the Axe website, and they are legitimately targeting younger men by spamming their website with sexy young women. I like how the Old Spice ad keeps it classier by incorporating comedy with swagger but not selling sex in the ads. 

No comments:

Post a Comment