Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Eric Montanez - Spoof Ad Final




For this project I spoofed an advertisement from Pony Shoes that I came across in Filter, a small time music/fashion magazine.  While this spoof ad was initially my backup option because I thought my spoof idea of Ugg For Men was stronger, after reaching the final design of both ads I felt the Pony design came out more complete. 

After discovering the advertisement, the first step I took was sketching out some possible routes with a pencil and better.  I decided I wanted to stick closely to the look of the original ad so took to photoshop and began finding images of all the elements that composed the advertisement such as the Pony shoes and Pony logo, and then found a text that resembled the one used in the ad to start reconstructing the ad with my spin included.

 The overall influence of this design was to reflect my reaction after initially seeing their advertisement, which was something similar to “why are they still making shoes.”  I attempted to draw out the fact that they are a brand long past their prime have become practically become obsolete over the years. The most dominating area of text in their ad read “achieve” and formatted it such as a definition in the dictionary would do; I kept that format but changed the word to say “ancient” and continued to define it.

As far as my goal for reflecting the original ad, I feel the design is successful.  I believe the format and layout of my spoof ad match the design concept of the original Pony advertisement.  However, because my main focus (for both spoof ad ideas) was to reflect preexisting ads, I feel that I lost some room for creativity. 


No comments:

Post a Comment