Thursday, May 10, 2012

Holloman - Social Media Campaign

I've let go of my bakery idea and come up with combining Pinterest with a craft supply store like Hobby Lobby. I was trying not to use pinterest as part of my project because I feel that a lot of people used it in the winter quarter class and a few students are using it in our class, however, as of yet I haven't seen anyone use it for crafting.

The entire campaign would be these two companies combining, so it would feature social media pages that advertise new deals that combine the two, however I think I would also (most likely) be creating an app to go along with it.

My goal of this would be to create an easier way of actually creating the crafting projects you can find on pinterest (instead of just re-pinning and wishing you were super crafty)

By having their websites combine, as it got more popular, there could be an extra link at the bottom of some pins to bring you to hobby lobby's website where you can easily purchase all the supplies.

From my research I found that there is a small presence of the store on Pinterest already,  but not in the way I would like to develop it for my project. The small presence they have already is posting some links to PDFs that feature project instructions, but these are pre-made and take extra steps just to see.

I want pinterest users and crafters to be able to see a craft they like, and have the option of either being directed to hobby lobby's website with an easier way of putting those items in their shopping cart, or if they want to shop in person be able to print a shopping list that makes it easier to collect all the supplies. I was also thinking about adding in a way of scanning a product with a qr code at a hobby lobby store and the app bringing up all the related crafts. By doing different crafts and adding the pinterest element, there would also be some sort of deals to be attained, coupons, BOGOs, etc.

Unfortunately I've not fully developed this idea yet, since it's an idea that I just recently came up with, however, I'm optimistic!

Any feedback is more than welcome!!

12 comments:

  1. Fun concept - I'm not really into the who Pinterest scene for the fact that it's mostly people who like to gawk at things they like but won't actively try to do things they pin. So I'm glad you're doing something to try to get people to be more active. The app sounds like it'd be useful, I'm interested to see what you'd do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Becky, I like this idea more than your bakery idea. Hobby Lobby and Pinterest go magically together and I think you can make an awesome campaign with these two companies. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea this sounds good, people who do arts & krafts like this would love having more digital incorporated into their lives to make it easier for them to get all their krafts organized. Think you can do a lot with this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a good idea; however, I think the majority (not all) of crafters are going to be older. That means they might not be very good with computers. You need to think about how you're going to bridge this gap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this sounds like a great idea. i love crafting and making random things and its always easier and more fun when you have some inspiration such as pintrest. Its a great idea too because there really aren't any limits, there are endless possibilities with crafts that you can make from scrap booking to home decor, so this would be great because you really have no boundaries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did not know hobby lobby before reading your post. This is honestly a good idea, it will promote a lot of creative crafting. Pinterest will definitely be a good tool to facilitate this to the users. You came up with a good link between these two, this will definitely work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this because I totally do that, I pin something, just wishing I could do it. This could seriously be a great real app, way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think pintrest works perfectly for this idea, so what if others are using it! I definitely like the coupon idea, where were you thinking to place/advertise them? I like this over the bakery idea and think you should stick with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pintrest and a craft store seem to be a perfect match to make a social media campaign with because their users/audience are very similar and could definitely benefit from this combination. I think that Facebook would probably be most useful for social media usage. I'm interested to see how you decide to make this connection thru the integration of social media!

    ReplyDelete
  10. his is a really good idea... I am sure you can find similar types of websites that you can use to base yours off of... obviously this will be different coming through pinterest but as far as the craft websites with shopping lists or links to Michaels crafts there are plenty examples out there for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like this idea a lot. Would you only be incorporating Hobby Lobby or would you also do stores like Joannes and Michaels? I like the idea though to point someone in the right direction to being creative.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is nice. a good easy way to live the scrumplife

    ReplyDelete