Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Niederer - Social Media Idea

I want to mix Foodgawker ( http://foodgawker.com ) and Instagram by encouraging users to Instagram photos of their food and link them to their recipes.  The campaign will feature Instagrammed pictures of food as well as encouragement to participate and share recipes and art.

The challenge is to expand and unite the fans of Foodgawker and Instagram through a combined project that merges the two social networks into an entirely new creature.  

The target audience is anyone who would take interest in Foodgawker or Instagram: usually 20/30/40-somethings with smartphones.  They like to look at food, and could be anything from a hobby cook to a professional cook to not a cook at all.  The target audience could be male or female; they have a taste for pretty art and enjoy editing their photos with Instagram.

The audience currently feels that Foodgawker and Instagram are very adequate, fun, and enjoyable, but they would like to view Instagram photos in more detail (what, exactly, is that kind of cheese?) or they want to have a ratings system (what is the most popular Instagram of the day? week?).  Foodgawker fans are looking to beautify their photos without the intensive process that is Photoshop; they simply want to click and touch and finish the job.

Adding functionality will allow for expansion: users will be able to edit pictures of their pretty food, as well as view popular pretty food and corresponding recipes.

The brand essence is creativity, quality, and innovation.

The key emotion that will build a relationship with the core audience is a united sense of creativity and appreciation for food.

The media that will best facilitate our goal is an expansion of Instagram's mobile app combined with an expansion of Foodgawker's current website.

The most critical elements are the Instagram-editing functions as well as the click through to recipe functions.

The single most important takeaway is the need to unite beautiful photos of food with their recipes and creators to create a more unified community of food-lovers, photographers, and cooks alike.

We want the audience to feel inspired to replicate the recipes displayed by these beautiful photographs, as well as feel inspired to create beautiful photos of their food: in one word, we want the audience to feel inspired.

11 comments:

  1. I like this idea a lot. As someone who cooks and likes to do food styling this is appealing to me. Creating a mobile community based around this particular interest is something that I think would be really good in the future. I currently instagram food pictures, but they don't really get the exposure I'm looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not know how to cook, but I sure do love looking at pictures of food and home cooked meals. Plus I love artsy photos so the combination of the two is a total winner. I do not have a smartphone so maybe making it possible for people like me to view the photos online or are you only making an app?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only concern I have with this is that, being that most users won't be professional cooks, I don't know how appealing the majority of the pictures are going to be. All of the pictures on foodgawker are extremely professional and high quality. I don't how you would combat this, or if you would see this as a con, but I thought I should mention it. If a picture is taken of a poorly made enchilada, there's sauce everywhere, and the countertops are filthy, a user will probably be turn off from that recipe - regardless of how good it may be. Just something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this idea and think that it it would be a good tool for everyone! I personally don't cook a lot, but i like to try look at pictures and recipes to get inspiration to start cooking. I think this would be a great way to especially attract people who enjoy taking pictures and cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Messy food/pictures is something to think about, but I'm assuming users have experience cooking and take pride in creating quality work. Kathie mentioned people who do not have smart phones so maybe building a food blog with the app could help you reach a large audience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great idea but I think the audiences of Foodgawker and Instagram might be a pretty broad difference. Maybe you could try using your own fake website oriented towards college-student/easier cooking linked to Instagram. I feel like more college kids use instagram, but I'm not really sure. Just think about it and maybe it will help you out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This could actually work. I post food on my instagram all the time. I don't always know the recipe though, because it's mostly good looking food from restaurants. But I'm sure food lovers are all over instagram and sharing their food photos. It's cool to allow them to share their recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Personally, I've never really thought about using Instragram on food, but I'm just not sure what the appeal of taking a picture of food is, is it to get likes? To get followed? Just be conscious of the users payoff to use the app.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a good combination because my instagram feed is constantly filled with food photos. I'm only curious as to how / where will the recipes be featured? Will there be a link from the picture on instagram to a page on foodgawker with the recipe? or will there be a tab foodgawker website for the instagrammed photos with an update of which ones are most recent?

    ReplyDelete
  10. agree that there will probably be a ton of people posting photos that are not of high quality or of food that is not the most professional type.. like I can pretty much assure you if depaul students were using this they would take pictures of Devil Dogs drunk. There needs to be a division between what you are trying to do and the pictures people currently post through instagram onto facebook and such.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a fan of taking/looking at pictures of yummy food, i think this is a great idea. Seeing great food and adding on how to create it is a great idea to take looking at photos to the next level.

    ReplyDelete