Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Marie Dolby -- Social Media Campaign

For my campaign, I wanted to make an app to make the process of buying/adopting or rescuing a dog easier.  I think it is important to buy dogs from certified breeders or rescue them from shelters.  I hate the thought of pet stores that take part in and support puppy mills across the country, so authentication is important.  This app will have logins and profiles for each breeder or shelter.  On these profiles, you can look at their history and information.  You can search for dogs by type, location, or price.  It is important that each dog have specs that are more in-depth, so not only will their looks, gender, and type be specified, but their personality and temperament will also be discussed.

I have volunteered at various animal shelters, and from experience it is hard to keep up the website as dogs are constantly coming and going.  I also own dogs from breeders and when it comes to breeders, a lot of it is about who you know.  So, the first time dog buyer may not have the best head start or know where to turn.  If this app is easy to use and very informational I think it could be very successful because people are always on the go and it will allow breeders and shelters to easily post the dogs that are available.

On this app, people can comment and mark which ones they like most.  By marking them, they can set up an appointment time to either come to the breeder or shelter to actually see the dog.  Also, this app will be in association with google maps to make it easier for people to get to their appointments and to look up dog parks in their area.  The site will also feature groomers and vets that are local to them.  People will be able to post their experiences with the services and recommend them to others.  People can also recommend food, treats, toys, and other pet-related merchandise.  After they have gotten the dog of their choosing, they can share their experiences and track their journeys on the app.  Local and mainly privately owned pet shops will also be featured.

This app is for the true dog lover, where quality, health, and supporting local businesses are important.

I want to call if "Paw Print" because when people mark the dogs they like/are interested in, the "paw print" them.  

Here are my dogs Louie (breeder, pomeranian), Sugar (pure bread champion, akita), Fabio (breeder, cairn terrier), & Fin (rescue, long-haired chihuahua)  :)

             


15 comments:

  1. Marie-I think this is fantastic idea, especially because you are so passionate about it! I've never heard of an app like this before but I think pet lovers would take full advantage. Living in the city, many people are unaware of certain locations so giving specific directions on Google maps is a really nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1st off, Louie & Fabio are precious.
    Secondly,
    this is something I think has a lot of potential. Like Ally said, I've yet to have come across something like this. My question is how will you get all the shelters to be involved. You're going to have to market this app to them and the users too which will divert your focus. But if it's something you can do, go for it. Just keep that in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mentioned a similar idea on Paul's SMC, but I'll mention it to you as well. It could be cool to run features with people who are known for being credible in the dog world. I don't know who this would be but I'm sure they're out there. Maybe really well known breeders? You could run a video series of interviews or 'how tos' to inform people about certain types of dogs, what it's like to live with them, who to best take care of them, etc. Basically they could inform potential buyers of what they're getting into when purchasing a certain breed, based on experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the idea and think this would be an excellent way to get people to rescue and adopt more animals instead of going to a pet shop because it may be easier. I think you could do a lot with this and think its a great idea to use google maps to work with different locations. Also, love your dogs.. my dogs name is Louie too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very supportive of the main motives of this-quality, health, supporting local transactions. I also hate that that all dogs can't have lovely homes, but this sounds like one step closer for a lot of them! I'm not sure i've ever seen any apps/things regarding this either, so it could be real successful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a lovely idea! The only suggestion I have is linking it with social media maybe to get others involved. Other than that, good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you re already familiar with this process, and care for animals so much. This will be a fun thing for you to work on. I have thought about adopting and had to go all over google finding out about it... This app would definitely be helpful for people thinking about adopting and caring for a new dog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If this campaign goes national, its good to have an enter your zip section and show the breeders and shelters in the area. I love this idea, especially since I think more and more people are thinking the way you do about puppy mills!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Rob, you should have a ranking system, and people can review a certain breeder, to make sure everything check out, (kind of like what they advertise on tv called "Angie's List")

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like your really passionate about the content and idea behind this app, which is great! I love the idea because it does solve a problem that many people who do care about animals run into when wanting to adopt or buy a new pet from a certified breeder. I also think this app could have a great 2nd presence on Facebook because it would allow people to create a community that would be supportive, informative, and also fun for the animal lovers who use the app and care about the cause.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is an interesting idea. I am not sure how easy it will be to create an app for it. The website would obviously be easier because there is just so much information that would be included. But for the basics and including the nearest location the app will be useful for

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like this idea. I think it would be a great and easy way for people to find dogs near them. Would there be some aspect that would allow breeders or shelters to post updates when they get new dogs in?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adorable dogs! I love this idea, we need to get our technology up-to-date on dog adoption; currently it seems as if the "market" is stuck in the 90s. The sorting option would be really useful; many adoption sites do not have that and make it very overwhelming to attempt to browse animals if they are looking for a certain temperament or size.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think this is a great idea. I think that it would be especially helpful to those who are new to searching how to purchase dogs. Also I love that one of your ultimate goals is to reduce the amount of people that end up purchasing for questionable breeders/pet stores/puppy mills.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a great idea. I really appreciate that it is trying to do something good instead of just making a profit. For-Benefit businesses are actually on the rise and I think this is a good example of one.

    ReplyDelete