Thursday, May 10, 2012

Stover - Social Media


For my social media campaign, I was thinking of doing something that incorporates music, design, and social interaction. I’ve always been big into electronic music and that scene has been exploding for the past few years. I want to create an app that allows bands and artists to choose to participate. By participating, the bands would upload their logos in vector format to a database linked to this app. By joining and participating, bands agree to allow their logo be used for designs. Designers can use the bands logos they like most, and make wallpapers, hats, shirts, posters, etc and put them up for sale. The app would produce a watermark on all the designs until purchased.
So it’s almost like a way for people to make designs for the bands they love and then sell them and get feedback . The phone app will be linked to a facebook app, so people can link their facebook profile to their profile on the design app. If it blew up enough, bands could support their designer fans by linking the public designs to their store pages, bringing revenue to the people creating designs.
I think this is a good idea because the show scene is exploding for electronic music, and people love cool design work associated with it.
I’m really passionate about pursuing this idea as it’s something that I would like to pursue in real life if I get solid enough ideas.
I already make posters and t shit designs for some bands, but it’s hard to make money off it legally since you can’t just sell designs using bands’ logos /copyrighted work. By incorporating the bands into the equation, this  would give the bands an opportunity to thank the fans by giving back to them like we did to support the bands.
My two mediums would be a phone app for droid and OS X, and an app for facebook linked to the phone app.
This would only help to promote the artists by allowing much more user-generated  content to be deployed.
I was also thinking a website would be necessary because then people can search through all the design works linked to the app by searching under categories like tshirts, posters, wallpapers, etc. This whole idea in general would only promote artists and allow general designers to make some money off doing what they love for the music they love. 

11 comments:

  1. Interesting concept - how would you reach out to the bands themselves. Would you be advertising to the bands first or the users of the app. It sounds like you almost have 2 different audiences to reach. I do think you have the social interaction aspect of it down though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your idea because I love electronic music and design. I like how your idea links the bands with the fans. I think this has a lot of potential.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this seems cool. im not sure how many bands would be into it or not, but interesting idea in itself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a cool idea, but it might be hard to get people participating. Branding is a crucial part of a band or act and it should be sound in it's design. Opening the door to anyone to create might disrupt this. I think the designs should have to be approved by the bands/acts before they are seen by anyone else. Or, you could just make some sort of database for people that are designing the promo material for their respective city's stop on the tour. Having done some of this work it's often a pain to track down high quality logos for each act. This would be a great database for designers to pull from, with permission.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that this is a really cool idea, even though im not really into electronic music. I think that this is a great interactive idea and you could have the band and the fans really connect. Overall, sounds great and like you have a great target picked out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely cool... I'm also a huge electronica fan and you just know that they enjoy a nice cover art and logo. This is a very fun thing, I would join it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Be careful with copyright...Would the band get royalties from the sales, or would it just be like a "free" publicity thing?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You mentioned that people can design logos, hats, posters etc. and that if other people like their work the designs can be purchased. How does it work if the designers are creating for the bands? Do the designers split the profit with the band or do they get it all because it was their idea? I'm just a little confused about how to bring revenue to the designers. I still think this is a unique idea and would be very appeaing to your target audience. I'm interested to see your final ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a really cool idea... I just dont know how many bands and artists will be on board with this idea. If a design was to get rejected by the artist i think some designers will still try to find a way to go ahead and create their work anyway and it would be very opinionated. The other problem i see is the willingness for bands and artists to put out the time to do this and go through and funnel through copious amounts of designs.... this would be sick tho... i mean if i was an artists or band id love to see what people come up with for me while messing around with their free time

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this is an awesome idea. would the bands be buying the designs or would the designers be selling their designs to other fans? If fans buy it do the bands get any kind of benefit other than free promotion? its a cool idea

    ReplyDelete
  11. By bringing in the bands so that you can (legally) use their designs/logos I think you'd really be capitalizing on the music/design market. I feel like there's a ton of people out there who'd jump at the chance to design merch for their favorite band. My only question would be, why limit it to electronic music? I think this would be successful with many genres.

    ReplyDelete