Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Emily Iammarino - FINAL Spoof Ad






For my final spoof ad I chose to spoof the brand Yellow Tail. Yellow Tail is a cheaper wine brand that is normally bought for dinner parties and targeted towards women. So, to spoof this brand I decided to change the name to “Get Some Tail” and target it towards men. My goal of the spoof was to make the brand seem more sleazy and raunchy, due to the new name of the brand.
            The medium that I have chosen for this spoof ad is print. This ad would be a print ad that would be placed in various magazines, on billboards, and other city-type structures.
            The audience for my ad consists of young men, ages 21 – 30, that normally buy lower to mid shelf alcohol. These men are the targeted because they could benefit from the product’s ability to help them pick up chicks or “get some tail.”
            My final spoof ad takes the form of a glossy print ad that features a pair of woman’s legs that are straddling a bottle of “Get Some Tail” wine with the taglines: “the wing man that never fails” and “pour some more till her panties hit the floor.” The layout and overall theme of my spoof ad closely mocks the real Yellow Tail print ads. I believe that the black and yellow colors are the most unifying principals of this work so I used the same yellow and black pantone colors as the original Yellow Tail ads. I  also mocked how the ads feature a black and white photograph with a drawn in “yellow tail” or yellow element. In my ad I made the woman’s legs black and white and then illustrated a pair of yellow high heels onto her to add sex appeal. The product is placed in between the legs in a sort of suggestive matter to also up the raunchy factor. The overall look of my piece is very geometric and simple because I made the message pretty clear and simple to understand due to its form.
d) What does this work have to do with you if you are the creator? What particular experiences or attitudes do you bring to the work?  How does this work compare to others you have seen in class or have seen and read about? Is it in dialog with others works you have seen in class or have studied? How does it compare to other student works in class? 
            This spoof ad relates to me because I am a pretty loyal user of the Yellow Tail brand wine because it is one of the cheaper wines and it’s sold everywhere so it’s easy to pick up for a night in with the girls or a fun dinner party. Also due to my own experiences and living with 6 other girls I know that girls love to drink wine. To many girls, wine is something that they go to because it has a different appeal than other alcoholic beverages; i.e. more classy. So, when a man to brings a girl a bottle of wine they see it as romantic or classy gesture. So what I’ve done in this ad is flipped this perception to the males point of view, which is basically expressed in the taglines “pour some more till her panties hit the floor” and “the wing man that never fails.” I brought a kind of sleazy and sex-crazed attitude to the brand that I frequently see every weekend in the drunken men of Lincoln Park’s finest bars. Like many other students’ work in the class I was able to make a joke out of a product by pointing out a different use for it that opposites the original advertisements’ messages but keeps a similar look and feel.
            I definitely used the original Yellow Tail print ads as a reference for comparison because I was trying to mock their style as closely as possible. As for influence I like to look towards artists who make simplistic, illustrative graphics (like Saul Bass) because I think they can convey a big message without having to be a big cluttered mess. I like things that are simply constructed, clean, and easily can get a message across.
            The purpose of my spoof ad is to poke fun at how some men need the help of alcohol in order to get laid. As my tagline stated it acts as a sort of “wing man” because it’s helping them “get some tail.” I believe that my final spoof as is successful at conveying this message though a clever use of imagery and catchy, tongue-in-cheek taglines. I’d say the weak part of my ad lies within my not-so-great Photoshop skills; because it’s the devil and I normally like to use Illustrator and InDesign. 

No comments:

Post a Comment