Tuesday, June 5, 2012


My understanding from the final pitch is that we should show some work in progress and discuss our process, so I’m going to explain my ideas and some technical details.
For my project, I wanted to incorporate 3d shapes and lots of colors and chaos with a picture of myself with names of my favorite bands/producers and some of my favorite companies for various things, mostly electronics and fishing gear. I wanted to create a chaotic poster with lots of shapes and blending options and chaos, where people pick out lots of details. I guess you could call it a digitally altered self advertising poster.
It’s 18x24” at 300 DPI. I rented a Nikon D40 camera from the cage and got a picture of myself. 


I then made some simple 3d polygon shapes in Maya and used the UV editor to take a snapshot of the texture map of the 3d shape. I then exported the snapshot to photoshop and chose the colors for each side of the 3d shape and exported back into maya in order to further mess with the 3d settings. The picture in black is what it looks like before you color it in photoshop. The colored version is what’s imported back into maya. 

You can add materials to objects in maya, giving them a glossy or flat surface after you get the colors you want. I gave it some glossy surfaces in order to make it seem more 3d once imported into photoshop.
I used scatter brushes to erase bits and pieces of my picture and started recreating the shape of my body with some 3d shapes and brush work. For the band names and companies, I used the pen tool to make paths and put text layers along the paths in my hair and around my shirt collar and around the tech pattern in my chest. The tech pattern was made with circles and the pen tool in illustrator.


I used lots of filters and blending options, tons of layers and lots of brush and eraser work. I’m pretty satisfied with the outcome; I’ve wanted to try importing .OBJ files from maya into photoshop for a while, so I’m glad I was able to incorporate that into this project. I always enjoy trying new techniques and I really liked how my idea fit perfectly for my life in advertising since I just advertised myself in a way that I would do with brands that I would advertise.



No comments:

Post a Comment